Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 7 - Rob Lundquist+



GC77 – Day 7 – July 11, 2012:  Breakfast at 8a for me, with other Diocesan Canons for Congregational Vitality.  Actually, the other 9 are canonsI’m just the chair of the Committee of the same name in our Diocese.  Sat between the Canon from Indianapolis (SWTS 85) and the Episcopal Church’s Missioner (SWTS 84), and everybody exchanged business cards.  This networking thing begins with meeting each other IRL (in real life), and I imagine we’ll end up on a listserv together, where the real exchange of ideas and opportunities can take place.

At the 9:30a Eucharist today we observed the feast of Benedict, the sixth-century monk who is now known as the father of western monasticism.  Fittingly, the music was largely Plainsong and Anglican Chant, led by the Christ Church Cathedral Choir of Indianapolis.  But it was the music during communion that I found most exquisite: Seek him that maketh the seven stars, by composer Jonathan Dove.  The text is from Amos 5:8.  But take a listen - www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg6ZVtcmgIc  I’ve never heard the piece, or of the composer, but I was completely transported.  Wow.

The other “Wow!” was the preacher – the Rev Stephanie Spellers.  She rocked the socks of everyone there, as you can see in the video:  http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/ens/2012/07/11/the-rev-stephanie-spellers-preaches-at-convention-eucharist/
 
I was off today – back to being the Clergy Alternate – which gave me some wonderful time to read and to sleep.  The best part was having lunch with my 2 first seminary friends, Sylvia & Ruth.  Within the first week or two of our 3-year experience, the entire incoming class went up to the DeKoven Center in Wisconsin for a retreat.  A silent retreat.  The wisdom of taking a group of 3 dozen eager new seminarians on a silent weekend together never made sense to me.  I remember early on taking what I now know is called a “walking meditation.”  I slipped out to the park across the road, and discovered two others who, like me, were more interested in getting to know the folks we’d be spending the next 3 years with instead of not getting to know them.  We ended up talking for hours, sharing our journeys to date and hopes/dreams for the future.  Ruth is a Liturgics Professor and author; Sylvia is a seminary dean.  We only had 20 minutes as a trio, as Ruth was late & had to leave early.  But it is cherished time.  And we two remaining finally had to leave the restaurant so it could be set up for dinner…

In the House of Deputies today, business moved forward.  Our diocesan group dined together, celebrating Jim’s birthday and vowing not to talk about Convention.  We are all brain-weary, and talk turned to exit strategies – who’s leaving when, who’s driving & can take stuff back to WNC, and the timing of details.  I’ll be taking Mike’s place tomorrow afternoon – the last of GenCon77 – as his flight departs before the House is scheduled to adjourn.  I’m here until my Friday morning flight.  I’m told there are some 60 resolutions for the Deputies to deal with tomorrow – some will be put on the “consent” calendar, deemed noncontroversial and passed in a block.  And the others?  May God be merciful to us all.

Thank you for your prayers!  I hope our blogging has grown you sense of the Church a bit.  The ENS (Episcopal News Service) and other sources are the best place to get official news and facts, like who has been elected to what.  It feels difficult to keep up with that stuff here on the ground, and it’s easy to get facts wrong when there’s such a barrage of them.  Twitter (#GC77) has shown itself to be immensely significant this week – news is fast, and usually correct.  The worship services and deliberations in both houses (I believe) have been live-streamed on the Episcopal Church’s site: http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/gc2012/  The Closing Eucharist is at 11:30a, and the Legislative Sessions run from 8-11a and 2:15-6:30p.  The Church has made an honest effort to be as communicative and transparent as possible.  Some of this can be seen in the general accuracy found in the reports in the secular media – the NPR article today was excellent:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=156584940  

I’m asked, “What’s next?  Where is the Church heading?”  I’m more interested in your answers.  And it’s not the kind of thing that requires a lot of extra talking.  It’s time to live it.  What difference does this all make to you?  What has thrilled you about the Church this week?  What are you moved to do?  What Church do you dream of?  I don’t have those answers.  But I love the conversation.  The Presiding Bishop’s succinct observation stays with me:  Christians, we are called to boldly go where Jesus has gone before.

Yours in Christ,
The Rev Robert Lundquist
Clergy Deputy (tomorrow afternoon)