GC77 – Day 3 - July 7, 2012.
Today began too early, with the changing
of the credentials. At 7:15 am. Mike (who wanted the day off), Karla (our
deputation chair) and I had to go, in person, to sign forms in triplicate. I turned over my pink “alternate” badge, and
received a white all-access backstage pass “deputy” badge. Mike did the opposite, ending up with the
salmon certificate of shame. I
exaggerate.
Anyway, I ended up sharing breakfast back at the hotel with
Mark Spahr, lay deputy from Maine and
son of Liz & Warren Spahr of Holy Family in Mills River (which I serve as
Rector). I’m kinda glad I’m not from
Maine, because their group takes turns being “deputy of the day,” which
includes wearing a large lobster hat. I
haven’t seen the hat yet, but it doesn’t sound particularly… fashionable… to me. Mark’s having a good time (despite being the
first to wear the hat), and we talked about the resolutions that have come and
are coming. Good to get another
perspective on the big show!
Our 9:30 Eucharist this morning was memorable to 2
reasons. The first is that the Rt Rev
Michael Curry, Bishop of North Carolina, was the preacher. Wow!
Check the video here: http://vimeo.com/45364734
or read the text here: http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/ens/2012/07/07/north-carolina-bishop-michael-curry-preaches-at-convention-eucharist/ His prescription? The world needs crazy Christians, crazy like
Jesus, who are on fire. But don’t take my word for it…
The other was the prelude and postlude musicians – the Steel
Band Orchestra of St Augustine’s Episcopal Church in Brooklyn, NY. At least 2 dozen young adults were working
twice as many pans and drums, in perfect synchronization. The effect was strong and smooth, moving
everyone to at least sway and nod in rhythm.
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard familiar hymns sound so sinuous and
resonant. It’s something you feel in
your chest as much as hearing with your ears.
Take a look at what St Augustine’s is up to – the Orchestra is just one
of their creative ministries: http://www.staugustinesbrooklyn.org/
I gotta admit, parliamentary procedure in a room with 800+
other people can be excruciating at times.
And if half of them are preachers… well, I’ll stop there. There were committee reports, which consisted
of resolutions upon which we were to vote.
Then the amendments, and sometimes amendments to the amendments… or was
that a substitution for the amendment?
President of the House of Deputies Bonnie Anderson, who is not standing
for re-election, is masterful in her running of the legislative sessions, which
totaled 6 hours today. I realize it
could be much worse. But it’s still pretty grueling. This early on (day 3 of 8) we’re re-referring
some things back to committee, and
nearly everything we do adopt or approve will go to the House of Bishops for
action. Legislation can begin in either
house, but it must be concurred with in order to be adopted by Convention. There is a common sense that change is
necessary. But it’s not as clear on just
exactly what is the best way to move forward.
At times it feels like a big chicken-or-egg, cart-before-the-horse
enterprise. So there’s a good bit of
frustration. One temptation is to table
sticky items, or kick them down the road to 2015. Seminary classmate the Rev Ruth Meyers
addressed the House from the floor, noting that Sunday attendance, church-wide,
declined 26% between 2000 and 2010. So
maybe we don’t have the time to defer and delay much of anything.
Yes, I’m not getting into the content of today’s resolutions
tonight. Nothing earth-shaking at this
point, and most of the work is preliminary in a sense. I think we’re all sorting, praying,
listening, and feeling our way in the dark, trying not to stub too many toes.
Good conversation today with my seminary ethics prof – Dr Tim
Sedgwick! Also visited with the Rev Dr
Bob Prichard, history prof at Virginia Theological. Dinner with my friend from Vail, CO – the Rev
Brooks Keith. And although we’re all
pretty tired by 9pm, it’s good to end the day with the Western North Carolina
contingent. We laugh a lot, and check in
with each other. We try to get
explanations about the things that puzzled or slipped by us completely, which
is probably why we 16 or more eyes in the House at any one time.
And as peeved as we get with the grammar sticklers,
technology fumblers, and “love to hear my own voice” deputies from those other dioceses, we remind ourselves that
everyone wants to be here, out of
their love for Christ and for the Church.
Which must mean, after all, that there’s hope for us all. Probably not the kind we’re expecting, or
think we need, but the kind that God serves up with a wink, or a high-five, or
a sigh. We are loved – cherished,
even. All of us. You.
Me. So, even though the
thermometer says otherwise, we’ve been saved from the Valley of the Shadow by
the One in whose image we are each wonderfully and uniquely created. TBTG.
Yours in Christ,
The Rev Robert Lundquist
Clergy Deputy (through Tuesday)
PS. If you have a
question, a thought to share, something coming before us that’s important to
you, I welcome your email (rector@ourholyfamily.org),
Tweet (@HolyFamNC), or text (to 970-372-7515).
This really is, in many ways, the first electronic General
Convention. Social media is influencing the shape and feel of
this gathering.